Rocky Mountain Ham Radio, New Mexico is pleased to announce the 2017 New Mexico TechFest, an ARRL-sanctioned operating specialty event, on Saturday February 25, 2017 at the New Mexico Veterans’ Memorial Event Center located at 1100 Louisiana Blvd SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108.
Join fellow amateur radio operators from around the Land of Enchantment for a day of quality presentations, demonstrations, and instruction provided by some of New Mexico’s most experienced technical hams on a variety of emerging and relevant technical topics within amateur radio today. The New Mexico TechFest is designed to provide a unique opportunity for all hams interested in the technical aspects of our hobby to advance and expand their technical knowledge and to facilitate technical discussion, collaboration, and ideas with one another.
Ham-specific and presentation-related prizes will be drawn throughout the TechFest event. Refreshments including coffee, water, and light snacks will be available. Lunch, catered by local small business Jimmy’s Cafe, will be available at an optional cost.
Additionally, a limited number of tables with AC power will be provided for attendees to set up and conduct informal ham-related technology/project demonstrations and technical posterboard presentations between the formal presentations, during lunch, and at the conclusion of the event. Due to space limitations, attendees interested in providing a demonstration or posterboard presentation should submit details to TechFest organizers for review and consideration. Sales and promotions not permitted.
Please mark your calendars, spread the word, and join us for TechFest 2017!
TechFest Presentation, Posterboard & Demo Lineup and Schedule
Presenter order subject to change.
- 8:00-8:30am: Pre-registered attendee check-in, meet and greet
- 8:30-8:45am: TechFest kickoff, welcoming comments
- 8:45-9:00am: Overview of posterboards/demonstrations
- 9:00-9:50am: ARDF Open Source Receiver Development Platform – Jerry Boyd WB8WFK (Albuquerque, NM)
- 10:00-10:50am: Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) Operating Basics and Best Practices – Mike Lozano KØNGA (Centennial, CO)
- 11:00-11:50am: Homebrewing for the Radio Amateur – Paul Harden NA5N (Socorro, NM)
- 11:50-1:00pm: Technical demonstrations and Lunch (bring your sack lunch, eat pre-ordered catered lunch, or dine out; a list of nearby restaurants will be provided)
- 1:00-1:50pm: The Troposcatter Propagation Mode and How to Predict Coverage on the VHF/UHF Bands – Jim Duffey KK6MC (Cedar Crest, NM)
- 2:00-2:50pm: Evolution of the WSJT Digital Modes – Mike Hasselbeck WB2FKO (Albuquerque, NM)
- 3:00-3:50pm: The Ups and Down of Near Vertical Incidence Skywave (NVIS) Propagation and How to Use It – Alden Oyer AG5S (Santa Fe, NM)
- 3:50-4:15pm: Final prize drawings, closing comments
- 4:15-5:00pm: Technical posterboards/demonstrations, collaboration, cleanup
Technical Posterboards / Demonstrations:
- AllStar Linking Demonstration – Skyler Fennell KDØWHB (Denver, CO)
- APRS in Your Pocket – Ron Nelson NR5ON (Santa Fe, NM)
- DMR Radio Programming – Mike Lozano KØNGA (Centennial, CO)
- Jamming and other Bad Behavior From Non-compliant DMR Handhelds – Chris Hamilton AE5IT (Wheat Ridge, CO)
- Roving in the Southwest – Jim Duffey KK6MC (Cedar Crest, NM)
- Transportable P25 Repeater – Bill Papatheofanis WD9CMS (Los Alamos, NM)
Register to Attend the New Mexico TechFest
TechFest admission is $10, payable via online registration. Pre-registration is required to attend.
Registration has Closed. All seats filled!
A printable event flyer is available for posting on ham listserves, within your club’s newsletter, or on your club’s website. Please help us spread the word across the amateur radio community about this unique event.
Call for Presentations and Important Dates
The New Mexico TechFest seeks high quality presenters and presentations on emerging and relevant amateur radio technical topics, techniques, and applications. Hams interested in being a TechFest presenter should submit a summary/abstract of their proposed presentation to email@example.com for consideration. Please note the following:
Call for TechFest presentations: December 1-January 15, 2017 Deadline to submit summary/abstract of proposed presentation: January 15, 2017 All submitted presentation proposals reviewed by TechFest committee: January 16-20 Final TechFest presentation lineup selected, posted on event website: January 22
- Presentations must be 50 minutes in length, including all anticipated discussion and Q&A.
- More than one presentation proposal may be submitted for consideration.
- Sales and promotional presentations will not be accepted.
- Due to space limitations, attendees interested in providing a demonstration or poster board presentation should submit details to TechFest organizers for review and consideration.
For inquiries or to submit your technical presentation abstract, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2017 TechFest Prize Contributors
Rocky Mountain Ham Radio and the New Mexico TechFest wishes to recognize and thank the following prize contributors:
- American Radio Relay League (ARRL)
- Ed James KA8JMW
- MFJ Enterprises
- N3FJP Amateur Radio Software
- Radio Oasis, LLC
- Rocky Mountain Ham Radio
- Tucson Amateur Packet Radio (TAPR)
- Other donors for presentation-specific prizes to be announced once presentation lineup is selected