Rocky Mountain Ham Radio, New Mexico is pleased to announce the 2021 New Mexico TechFest, an ARRL-sanctioned operating specialty event, on Saturday February 27, 2021. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and uncertainty around New Mexico’s public health orders, this year’s event will be conducted virtually.
Join fellow amateur radio operators from around the Land of Enchantment (and beyond) for a day of quality presentations, demonstrations, and instruction provided by some of New Mexico and Colorado’s most experienced technical hams on a variety of emerging and relevant technical topics within amateur radio today. The New Mexico TechFest is designed to provide a unique opportunity for all hams interested in the technical aspects of our hobby to advance and expand their technical knowledge and to facilitate technical discussion, collaboration, and discuss ideas with one another.
Ham-specific and presentation-related prizes will be drawn throughout the TechFest event.
Mark your calendars, spread the word, and join us for TechFest 2021!
TechFest Presentation and Demo Lineup and Schedule
(Schedule times subject to change)
- 8:00am: Launch of New Mexico TechFest pico-balloon with VHF APRS or HF WSPR tracking payload (weather permitting)
- 8:00-8:30am: Open forum for TechFest attendees to collaborate virtually
- 8:30-8:45am: TechFest kickoff, welcoming comments
- 8:45-9:00am: Overview of presentations
- 9:00-9:50am: Presentation topic #1
- 10:00-10:50am: Presentation topic #2
- 11:00-11:50am: Presentation topic #3
- 12:00-12:50pm: Open forum for TechFest attendees to collaborate virtually during lunch or (tentative) Presentation topic #7
- 1:00-1:50pm: Presentation topic #4
- 2:00-2:50pm: Presentation topic #5
- 3:00-3:50pm: Presentation topic #6
- 3:50-4:15pm: Final prize drawings, closing comments
- 4:15-5:00pm: Open forum for TechFest attendees to collaborate virtually
Register to Attend the New Mexico TechFest
TechFest admission is $10, payable via online registration. Pre-registration is required to attend.
What will proceeds from 2021’s New Mexico TechFest be used for?
- Cost of license for professional Zoom account to conduct this year’s event
- Purchase of prizes since donations may be hard to come by for many businesses this year
- Cost to ship prizes to their lucky winners
- Cost of material to conduct launch of New Mexico TechFest pico-balloon with VHF APRS or HF WSPR payload on day of event (weather permitting)
- Remaining proceeds will be applied directly to the continued expansion of RMHAM’s 5-GHz multi-megabit amateur radio microwave network/backbone, an infrastructure to enable partnered amateur radio clubs to expand their repeater capabilities.
>>> Link to register online will appear here when registration opens. Registration will open weekend of January 23, after this year’s presentation lineup is chosen and announced.
A printable event flyer is available for posting on ham listserves, within your club’s newsletter, or on your club’s website. Please help us spread the word across the amateur radio community about this unique event.
Call for Presentations and Important Dates
The New Mexico TechFest seeks high quality presentations and demos on emerging and relevant amateur radio technical topics, techniques, and applications. Original content highly encouraged. Hams interested in conducting a TechFest presentation or demo should submit a summary/abstract of their proposed topic to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Please note the following:
- Call for TechFest presentations and demos: Today-January 17, 2021
- Deadline to submit summary/abstract of proposed presentation or demo: January 17, 2021
- All submitted proposals reviewed by TechFest committee: January 18-21, 2021
- Final TechFest presentation lineup selected, posted on event website: Weekend of January 23, 2021
- TechFest registration open: Weekend of January 23, 2021
- Presentation slots are generally 50 minutes in length, including all anticipated discussion and Q&A.
- More than one presentation or demo proposal may be submitted for consideration.
- Sales and promotional presentations are not permitted.
For inquiries or to submit your technical presentation abstract, please email us at email@example.com
2021 TechFest Prize Contributors
Rocky Mountain Ham Radio and the New Mexico TechFest wishes to recognize and thank the following prize contributors:
- American Radio Relay League (ARRL) – Gift certificates
- Additional prize donors will be added soon.